Interpretive History Guide Position
Do you love to entertain and educate? Do you jump at the opportunity to speak to strangers about subjects you’re knowledgeable about? Do you enjoy history and working in a tranquil setting? If so, then our opening of interpretive history guide is right up your alley. You will share your passion during several presentations every day to tell tourists exactly what our historic site has to offer. You may also provide private tours to smaller groups of people when requested, providing plenty of new experiences and opportunities to get to know different personalities. This is a perfect line of work for creative job seekers, so apply today.
Please email your resume and cover letter with Wilson’s Point in the subject line to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or contact a member of the Miramichi Scottish Heritage Association
Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Interviews to take place May 11th.
Interpretive History Guide Job Summary
We are seeking a personable, professional interpretive history guide to offer our guests an exceptional experience while visiting our facility. Guides will play the role of a cultural ambassador, offering commentary and interesting tidbits of information about the people of Wilson’s Point culture and way of life to visitors in this role; you will be responsible for engaging guests in an informative and interactive manner. You will provide a wealth of information regarding our facility and its history and answer any questions our guests might have to the very best of your ability. Guides should have good story telling abilities, and be able to incorporate some of their own relevant, personal anecdotes in their oral presentations. Guides should also be able to project their voice in order to be clearly heard.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Greet all guests promptly and maintain a positive, friendly demeanor at all times.
• Answer any questions that the guests have clearly and articulately provide information to guests in an engaging manner.
• Demonstrate extensive knowledge of our facility and related topics
• Follow a basic script but also incorporate humor and personal anecdotes in story telling
• Project your voice to ensure guests can hear while you lead them on the walking
tour or when giving a presentation inside the interpretive center.
• Be attentive to the group and responsive to individuals.
• Remain calm, friendly, and enthusiastic at all times.
• Provide directions to visitors who would like to check out a specific area at a later date, and provide information related to lodging, food and other amenities
• Provide guided tours to guests through our site and grounds when opportunity arises, taking breaks as needed. Determine if any guests have physical restrictions that should be considered. Follow the safest paths through the historic site when providing guided tours.
• Prepare daily reports, maintain attendance and admission statistics.
• Manage sales of gift shop items.
• Answer telephone inquiries.
• Perform light maintenance to the site including but not limited to sweeping floors, dusting and keeping displays tidy, cleaning washroom facilities and garbage detail to assure a great first impressions to our visitors
• Ensure visitor and employee safety and reporting issues to supervisors. Know all safety and security protocols, should they be needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Fluent in English; bilingual a plus
• Flexible schedule to work on weekends
• Outgoing personality, courteous, and helpful towards visitors
• Previous experience in customer service preferred
• Experience with public speaking is a plus.
• Exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills; strong, captivating storytelling skills and be enthusiastic, engaging, and have an informative way of speaking.
• Terrific attitude and willingness to collaborate as part of a team
• Previous experience with some kind of performance-based art is a plus.
• Basic computer skills, including posting to socials media sites (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).
• Ability to remain calm and collected when dealing with difficult guests.
• Have the ability to memorize and recite facts clearly and accurately. Have a passion for learning and willingness to continue to acquire relevant knowledge.
• Have enthusiasm for and a thorough knowledge of the interpretive center and grounds including the graveyard. (Historical Information and interesting tidbits will be provided)
• Have a cross-cultural understanding..
• Dress should be clean neat in appearance and appropriate for weather and elements Dress for the weather – be prepared to guide in rain or sunshine
• Must adhere to dress code and be conscientious about personal hygiene.
• Must be flexible to work conditions, job duties.
• May work both outdoors and indoors (in heritage center) Standing, walking and sitting for more than 8 hours a day.